Talc Alternatives For Summer
Now that summer is officially here, many people might grab some baby powder to help keep themselves dry in this hot and moist summer heat. However, one of the main ingredients in most baby powders is talcum powder. Talcum powder has been shown to greatly increase the risk of ovarian cancer in women who use it around their thighs and groin. So instead of using baby powder with talc, try these safer talc alternatives to keep you dry and cool this summer:
- Corn starch baby powder – While most baby powders use talc as their main ingredient, some baby powders use corn starch which can keep you just as dry without the serious side effects.
- Rice Powder – Rice powder is finely milled rice that can help absorb excess moisture, but should not to be confused with rice starch which is used for baking.
- Coconut oil – Applying a dab of coconut oil at the first sign of a heat rash will help sooth the skin and reduce friction.
- Flour – Oat flour and corn flour can both help prevent chaffing and keep your skin smooth.
- Kaolin clay – Kaolin clay is naturally absorbent and is ideal for use on sensitive skin.
One of the largest baby powder manufacturers, Johnson & Johnson (J&J), is currently facing thousands of lawsuits from women who used its talc-based baby powder. Although the company is still defending the safety of talc, three separate juries have disagreed.
The first talcum powder lawsuit went to trial in 2013 and the jury found J&J guilty of negligence and failure to warn. Two additional talcum powder lawsuits have already gone to trial this year and both juries agreed J&J failed to warn consumers of the risks of talcum powder. J&J will try one more time to defend its talcum powder based products in a trial this September.
Talcum Powder Attorneys
Standing up to Johnson & Johnson may seem intimidating, but the attorneys at Blizzard & Nabers, LLP have done it successfully before and will do it again. Our trial lawyers will help you fight for the compensation you deserve. If you or someone you know has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer after using J&J Baby Powder or Shower to Shower Body Powder, please contact us online or call to speak with an attorney today.