Summer Road Trip Safety Tips
With summer in full swing, you may be ready to load up the car for a summer road trip. Before you do, put safety first and follow these summer road trip safety tips to keep you and your family safe on the road.
Summer Road Trip Safety Tips:
- Always buckle up. Not only is it the law, seatbelts are designed to help keep passengers safe in the event of an accident.
- Get a tune up. Before you put more miles on your car, make sure it’s in the best possible shape to protect you and your family.
- Perform your own safety check. Make sure your vehicle hasn’t been recalled for defective parts like airbags, gear shifters, ignition switches or other parts. If you are driving with small children, also check to make sure their car seat hasn’t been recalled.
- Pack an emergency roadside kit. The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) recommends having the following items in your car in the case of an emergency:
- Cell phone
- First aid kit
- Flares and a white flag
- Jumper cables
- Jack for changing a tire
- Work gloves
- Change of clothes
- A jug of water
- Paper towels
- Nonperishable food
- Empty gas can
- Make sure you are well rested. Fatigued driving can be extremely dangerous. Get a good night’s sleep before your road trip, and don’t overexert yourself. Take plenty of breaks and let someone else drive or pull over if you feel sleepy.
- Don’t drink and drive. Drivers can begin to experience some level of impairment after just one drink. You might be excited to get the party started, but save it for your destination.
- Don’t use your phone while driving. Cell phone use while driving can be more dangerous than any other form of distracted driving. If you have to use your cell phone, pull over or let a passenger answer for you.
Blizzard & Nabers: Car Accident Attorneys
Safety on the road is a two way street. If a negligent driver injured you in a car accident, you may be able to obtain compensation for your injuries. Call the experienced car accident attorneys at Blizzard & Nabers today for a free consultation to discuss your case.